EMPLOYER: Immigration Counseling Service (ICS) provides affordable immigration legal services and free public educational forums in Oregon. www.ics-law.org
ICS is Oregon’s only, and oldest, independent nonprofit law firm serving immigrants. With offices in Portland and Hood River, ICS provides high quality, low-cost legal services, and has the state’s only unaccompanied minors program and only full time anti-trafficking program. ICS also operates the only rural “mobile legal clinic”, providing monthly legal services to central Oregon immigrants in Redmond.
JOB TITLE: Portland Office Administrative Assistant
JOB PURPOSE: To support the ICS Operations Manager and Unaccompanied Minors Program Managing Attorney with administrative and clerical functions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Fiscal Management Support (20%)
- Perform banking clerical duties such as making daily bank deposit runs, uploading documentation to the accounting portal, and assisting with preparing bills, invoicing and other financial documents;
- Assist with annual audit and tax process;
- Prepare reconciliation reports and track monthly accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Operations Support (20%)
- Communicate with vendors and ensure performance and invoices are properly tracked; trouble-shoot and arrange for vendor support where necessary;
- Monitor and replenish office supplies;
- Track contract due dates, grant due dates and payment schedules;
- Assist with general operations work as needed.
- Unaccompanied Minors Program Support (40%)
- Review weekly facility updates and monitoring each child’s case by maintaining case notes regarding arrival, reunification, significant case developments, etc.;
- Open physical files for new clients and ensure that all physical information is correctly filed;
- Prepare form letters to advise clients of case updates;
- Prepare discharge packets for children leaving the shelter;
- Perform data entry and maintain grant reporting data including newly arrived children, case updates, discharges, referrals, interpreter log and a monthly narrative report;
- Provide appropriate referrals for released children. Duties include referring released children to other legal service providers and/or legal orientation programs for custodians, either through the Vera UCORD (Unaccompanied Children’s Online Referral Database) or directly to non-Vera providers; providing a referral memo and contacting legal services providers for referrals outside the UCORD system;
- Assist with Pro Bono recruitment efforts.
- Operations Support (10%)
- Assisting with outreach and development as needed, including database management, preparing and mailing donor correspondence; assisting with newsletter
- Assisting with miscellaneous office tasks, such as scanning closed files
- Unaccompanied Minors Program Support (10%)
- Assisting with Court Preparation Efforts through the preparation of summary information sheets;
- Translating Documents
- Helping with other miscellaneous office tasks
- Coordinating with greater ICS office staff to ensure smooth office procedures
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- One year experience in high level, fast-paced and varied office setting, including performance of clerical duties, dealing with vendors, data input, and basic financial documents;
- Demonstrated computing competence (Word processing, email), and ability to write using proper grammar and spelling
- Notary Public
- Experience with grants and development
- Experience with budgets and finance
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex tasks simultaneously;
- High level of attention to detail;
- Demonstrated high level organizational skills;
- Strong motivation and ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to comply with strict confidentiality requirements;
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in Spanish
The position may require occasional driving of a motor vehicle, which requires a valid Oregon driver’s license.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
May require evening or weekend work; working with challenging clients; driving to centers where clients are located; may spend up to 7 hours per day using a computer (sit or stand), including keyboard and mouse, and using telephone; occasional lifting boxes of files or packages weighing up to 25 pounds.
This is a NON-EXEMPT, bargaining unit position
REPORTS TO: ICS Operations Manager
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED BY THIS POSITION: None
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Starting salary on union payscale is $28,000, potentially higher DOE. ICS offers an excellent benefits package.
ICS is an equal opportunity employer: ICS does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, family relationship, marital status, veteran status, military service, or any other classification protected by local, state, or federal law.
Any employee who needs accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job should communicate with the Executive Director. We will work with an employee to evaluate whether there is a reasonable accommodation that does not pose an undue hardship on the organization. Any proposed accommodation that creates an undue hardship on the organization, that does not allow the employee to perform the essential functions of the job, or that poses a serious safety risk to others that cannot be mitigated, is not a reasonable accommodation.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and will begin immediately. Please send to email@example.com a cover letter including your level of Spanish language ability, a current resume, and contact information for 3 references to Client Coordinator Hiring Committee. No phone calls please.